The Code of Governance for Independent Providers of Higher Education was developed by IHE in collaboration with leading law firm Shakespeare Martineau, the IHE membership and sector experts.
The aim of the Code is to provide a shared set of principles which individual providers can adopt and adapt in order to:
- demonstrate generally accepted standards of good governance, appropriate to their corporate form;
- ensure good academic governance, management of academic risk, and provide suitable, robust assurance to the board in these areas;
- meet the expectations of their owners and other stakeholders;
- where relevant, comply with the requirements of the Office for Students (OfS) and other sector bodies such as the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA); and
- inspire confidence in the wider public.
We hope this Code will go some way to supporting efficacy, accountability and quality in the institutions that adopt it, and in the development of new practice across the higher education sector.